Saturday, October 18, 2008

Como, Milano, Amsterdam (24 hours)

So I left the lakes region after a great lunch atop the hills of Lago Iseo, racing to Milano for my day of fashion and fast walk of the city. My TomTom guided me to a fabulous swank Sawday recommended B&B just outside the center (centro) - just 2 stops out on the red line (I use Sawday without fail for my Euro travels - call him a much less followed and more discriminating Steeves). I must say its a gift to be a urbanite real estate junkie because I know no one who could possibly examine a radial city of 1.3 million people with just the hours between 4pm and 7pm to find your hotel (amid all the construction), change, shower, grab my camera and head on the subway, walk the duomo, shopping districts, get a new cashmere sweater, walk the castle and theater districts, walk the famous shopping galleria then find the best pizzeria in town (dining next to the sweetest old couple slurping their spagetti and telling me how much he always wanted to go to Arizona because that is where all the westerns took place). Yeah... I'm bragging. Then, I was actually in bed by 9:30pm for my 5am wake up call for a flight to Amsterdam via EasyJet (interesting experience I must say).

The whirl wind just gave me a taste, just a taste of Milan and there is a feast. However, I got what I needed and am now in Amsterdam and blown away at the shopping and the density of bicycles on the street. Wow, the bike IS KING here no question. Love it.

Now I sit in Mozart Hotel in the Jordaan district of Amsterdam poaching their internet because the flat I rented seems to have its wifi down. Oh... the adventures I had today.... But that will be my next post. Danka.

No comments: